It is important to receive proper immunizations when traveling abroad in order to prevent serious illness.
Westside Travel Medicine and Immunizations maintains a large supply of vaccines to help prevent the following diseases:
- Hepatitis A – This common viral infection is acquired from contaminated food and water and is found throughout the world. Hepatitis A infection can cause fever, fatigue, nausea/vomiting, and jaundice. This illness typically lasts a few weeks to several months.
- Hepatitis B – A serious viral infection that attacks the liver; acquired from blood, blood products or unprotected sexual contacts. It can lead to chronic liver disease, liver cancer, and death. Hepatitis B is found throughout the world, but is especially common in Southeast Asia, Africa, the Amazon River basin, and certain parts of the Carribean.
- Influenza – This common and seasonal viral infection can cause wide-spread epidemics throughout the world. This illness lasts 1-2 weeks, causing fever, cough, weakness, headache, and many other possible complications.
- Meningitis – A bacterial infection of the brain that causes fever, severe headache, nausea/vomiting and can be life-threatening. Seasonal outbreaks can be found throughout the world.
- Pneumonia – A bacterial infection of the lungs that causes fever, cough, weakness, and shortness of breath. Pneumococcal disease is found worldwide and may be life-threatening for certain individuals (the very young, the elderly, and those with chronic health conditions).
- Polio – A serious viral infection that can cause paralysis or weakness of specific body parts; sporadic outbreaks occur primarily in underdeveloped countries within Southeast Asia, Africa, and parts of the Middle East.
- Tetanus – A life-threatening bacterial infection that affects the nervous system causing painful muscle spasms, convulsions, and can be life-threatening. Tetanus can be found throughout the world.
- Typhoid Fever – A common bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract that can cause persistent fever, headache, weakness, and loss of apetite; acquired from contaminated food and water and has a worldwide distribution.
- Yellow Fever – A serious viral infection acquired from mosquito bites that can cause an influenza-like illness, severe hepatitis, and uncontrolled bleeding. Yellow fever is found only within sub-Saharan Africa and tropical South America. Westside Travel Medicine is a certified Yellow Fever Vaccination Center.
Certified Yellow Fever Vaccination Center
Westside Travel Medicine and Immunizations has been certified by the California Department of Public Health to administer the yellow fever vaccine.
Yellow fever vaccination can be given by providers in California only after certified by this state agency.
Many countries have regulations and requirements for yellow fever vaccinations that must be met prior to entering the country or in order to obtain an entry visa.
An International Certificate of Immunization will be issued on the day of immunization, although this certificate will not be valid until ten days following vaccine administration.